Dr. John P. Rosa, opioid crisis expert, author and dynamic brings attention to the suicide death of Kurt Cobain 28 years ago focusing on Adverse Childhood Experiences, chronic stress and abuse that often lead to addiction and suicide.
ROCKVILLE, MD. April 11, 2022: Dr. John Rosa, dynamic speaker, national opioid crises expert, and co-author of The Recipe for Success with Jack Canfield, posted a new article on his website entitled “Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) And Substance Abuse Disorders.” Dr. Rosa expresses a need for greater attention to diminishing the stigma of both mental health and addiction disorders.
“This month,” Dr. Rosa writes, “I am turning my attention to unaddressed adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and the difficulties of stardom at a young age, both of which far too frequently lead to a variety of substance abuse disorders. But,” He adds, “it isn’t just those in the limelight who suffer.”
Dr. Rosa writes, “28 years ago, on April 5, 1994, rock legend Kurt Cobain committed suicide. He was 27. Even though he died of gunshot wounds to the head,” Dr. Rosa states, “most people chalk his suicide up to his addiction to heroin. But,” he emphasizes, “it’s not that simple. The question that is never asked is, “Why was he addicted to heroin?” We don’t inquire as to why do so many people become addicts of any kind. The stigma of drug addiction was alive and well then as much as it still is today.”
As Dr. Rosa notes, “Adverse Childhood Experiences can be found in the background of most people who suffer with addictive behaviors.” He continues, “According to an article published by the national group promoting ACEs science, “The Adverse Childhood Experience Study was released in 1998. It quantified the connection between many childhood experiences and their consequences later in life, but it wasn’t the first study to link child abuse to mental illness, suicide, and drug use. According to Charles Cross’ masterful biography of Kurt Cobain, Heavier than Heaven, Kurt had an ACE score of at least four (divorce, witness to domestic violence, psychological abuse and at least one measure of neglect).” https://www.pacesconnection.com/blog/adverse-childhood-experiences-why-kurt-cobain-is-not-the-only-one
Dr. Rosa states, “Let me clarify what those scores mean by continuing with the previous article. “With an ACE score of 4, someone’s odds of using IV drugs are 3900% higher than someone with an ACE score of 0, and their odds of attempting suicide are 1122% higher than someone with an ACE score of 0. Let those numbers sink in; those are actually four-digit numbers, not typos. And as someone’s ACE score increases, the odds of each of those outcomes increases as well. Kurt’s story wasn’t one of personal failure despite societal gifts, but rather one of succumbing to the laws of statistics.” https://www.pacesconnection.com/blog/adverse-childhood-experiences-why-kurt-cobain-is-not-the-only-one
Dr. Rosa continues with more information about Mr. Cobain, along with information about how someone who “suffers with emotional stressors over a long period of time those stressors eventually turn into physical changes in health like the stomach pain that Kurt suffered with.” According to Dr. Rosa, “Hurtful memories are permanently stored in our nervous system and when those memories are from severe trauma or repetitive micro traumas it changes our neuro chemistry and eventually our metabolic processes.” He adds, “I was not surprised to find out that Cobain’s biographer, Charles Cross, presents indications that Kurt very likely experienced sexual abuse as a child.”
Read the entire article at: link here
About John P. Rosa
Dr. John Rosa owns and supervises ABC Management, which is comprised of 21 integrative health clinics in Maryland and Virginia that sees over 60,000 patient visits per year. ABC Clinics combine medicine, chiropractic, physical therapy, acupuncture and behavioral medicine to give a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to pain syndromes and musculoskeletal disorders. Active in sports medicine with consulting/treating college, professional and Olympic athletes. Founder of Accessible Wellness Solutions – an onsite corporate wellness program offering consulting, lectures and management of onsite clinics.
- Northeast College of Health Sciences – DC 1992
- Rutgers University – BS 1989
Integrative Medicine Specialist:
- Current Board Chair to Maryland University of Integrative Health
- Trustee of Northeast College of Health Sciences for over 15 years serving final 3-year term as Chairman of the Board and given the honor or Board Emeritus post service.
- Consultant on Integrative Medicine to hospital cancer center
- Reduced opioid prescriptions up to 70% by integrating Chiropractic, physical therapy and behavioral medicine in a primary care setting
- Expert/Speaker – Educating medical community on the Integrative Medicine approach to treating pain
- Executive Medical Director – Nu-Life Solutions – maker of a neuromodulation devise to treat pain, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness and withdrawals form opioid addiction
- Medical Advisor – Outreach Recovery – a group of expert clinicians and health care professionals who specialize in substance abuse and drug addiction treatment, mental health counseling, and psychiatric management. Largest addiction treatment group in the Mid-Atlantic region
- Chief Science Officer – Get A-Head – a SaaS platform company that provides a telehealth application in training and delivery of mental health care while incorporating cutting-edge AI technologies
Opioid Crisis Expert:
- White House Surrogate/Consultant
- Law Enforcement Consultant (Homeland Security, CBP, DOJ, DEA, FDA, FBI and U.S. Postal)
- State, National, and International Consultant to Opioid Task Forces
- Corporate and professional organization consultant
- Currently working on PSA music and cinema projects with the Russo Brothers (directors/producers of the Marvel Avenger films)
Current Research and Publications:
- New-Life Solutions – Research medical director for “The H.O.P.E. Initiative for Addiction”
- Italian Chiropractic Association – Member of the Scientific Research Committee
- Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics
- “Changes in Opioid Therapy Use by an Interprofessional Primary Care Team: A Descriptive Study of Opioid Prescription Data” by John Rosa, DC and Jeanmarie R. Burke, PhD
- Published: April 17, 2021
- Founder of “Overdose Free America” a nonprofit which uses the power of celebrity and entertainment to bring the Opioid Crisis the visibility and support it deserves
- Lectures to community, corporations, universities and medical community on the opioid and mental health crises have reached over 100,000 people.
- Production of “BACKBONE” The story of proactive healthcare vs. reactive disease care that was focused on our active and retired military. A documentary by Wellbeing Films
- Co-Producer of “It’s Happening Right Here” The story of how sex trafficking has infiltrated our country with almost no public awareness
- Volunteer at Crossroads Freedom Center – a residential facility in Maryland to help overcome addiction
- Board member – #Same Here Global Mental Health Movement – 501c3 dedicated to delivering resources and programing on better ways to treat mental health other then medication