Dr. John P. Rosa, opioid crisis expert, author and dynamic speaker, discusses the lack of education within the medical field regarding how to ween patients off of opioids despite the fact that they are so easily and frequently prescribed.
ROCKVILLE, MD. November 7, 2019: Dr. John Rosa, dynamic speaker, national opioid crises expert, and co-author of The Recipe for Success with Jack Canfield, posted a new blog on his website entitled, “A Medical System That Doesn’t Know How To Put An End To The Pain They Cause,” in which Dr. Rosa tells readers about an important book.
Dr. Rosa poses a big question. He asks, “How do we change an entire medical system?” He continues, “That’s the question that occurs to me when thinking about how our medical schools teach prospective doctors how to prescribe pills but don’t teach them how to help patients get off the pills they are prescribed.”
According to Dr. Rosa, “Our medical institutions are responsible for creating more intense pain than the pain that is caused as a result of physical injury.” He further elaborates, “Doctors easily prescribe addictive opioids. But they have absolutely no idea how to help ween their patients off of the drugs when they are no longer needed for pain control.” He emphasizes, “Thus begins the horrendously painful cycle of addiction.”
Dr. Rosa states, “This is so perfectly illustrated in a recent book I heard about entitled In Pain, by bioethicist Travis Reider, who was prescribed opioids after a motorcycle accident. When he went to his doctor to ask how to get off the opioids, the doctor was stumped. He didn’t have a clue.”
About Dr. John P. Rosa
Dr. Rosa is the Owner/manager of 14 health clinics in the Baltimore/Washington DC metro areas concentrating on musculoskeletal injuries of acute, subacute and chronic nature. He oversees the Integrative Medicine practice group which includes general medicine, Chiropractic, physical therapy, acupuncture and behavioral medicine that sees over 60,000 patient visits per year.
Active in sports medicine with consulting/treating college, professional and Olympic athletes. Creator of 24/7 RnR (Relief and aiding Recovery) an FDA approved analgesic cream. Founder of Accessible Wellness Solutions – an onsite corporate wellness program offering consulting, lectures and clinic management.
Leader in Chiropractic
Trustee of New York Chiropractic College for over 15 years and serving final 3-year term as Chairman of the Board.
Opioid Crisis Expert:
- White House Surrogate/Consultant
- Law Enforcement Consultant (Homeland Security, CBP, DOJ, DEA and Postal)
- State and National Consultant to Opioid Task Forces
- Corporate and professional organization consultant
- Currently forming the Opioid Abuse Prevention Institute
Integrative Medicine Specialist:
- Board service to Maryland University of Integrative Health
- Consultant on Integrative Medicine to hospital cancer center
- Reduced opioid prescriptions by 70% by integrating Chiropractic, physical therapy and
- behavioral medicine in a primary care setting
- Expert/Speaker – educating primary care, urgent care and hospital medical staff on the
- Integrative Medicine approach to treating pain patients